Grammar - Even

Read the text and complete the activities below.
Using words like "even" correctly helps you express emotions, highlight surprises, and make your English sound much more natural. Let's break it down into three simple topics!
1. "Even" for Surprise or Emphasis
We use even to show that a fact is surprising, unusual, or unexpected. It highlights extreme examples. It usually goes before the main verb, but after the verb "to be" or auxiliary verbs (like have, will, can).
She loves animals so much that she even has a pet snake!
The test was incredibly difficult; even the teacher couldn't solve the last question.
I am so busy right now that I am working even on Sundays.
2. "Even with" Comparatives
When you want to make a comparison stronger, you can put even directly before a comparative adjective or adverb. It has a similar meaning to "much" or "a lot" in this context.
I thought the first book was good, but the sequel is even better.
The traffic is terrible today, but they say it will be even worse tomorrow.
This laptop is expensive, but the other model is even more expensive.
3. "Even though" vs. "Even if"
These two expressions look similar but have different meanings.
Even though expresses a surprising contrast based on a real fact (similar to although).
Even if talks about a hypothetical situation or condition, meaning "whether or not."
Even though it was raining heavily, we went for a run. (Fact: It was actually raining.)
I wouldn't sell this car even if someone offered me a million dollars! (Hypothetical: Nobody offered a million dollars.)
She passed the driving test even though she didn't practice much. (Fact: She didn't practice.)
Grammar Activity Image

ACTIVITIES

Activity 1: Multiple Choice Choose the correct option (A, B, or C) to complete the sentence.
1. The weather is terrible today, but the forecast says it will be ______ tomorrow.
2. ______ she was exhausted, she finished the report on time.
3. I am so tired that I can't ______ keep my eyes open.
4. I will go to the outdoor concert ______ it rains! I don't care about the weather.
5. He is incredibly wealthy. He ______ owns a private island in the Caribbean.
Activity 2: Gap Fill Complete the sentences by choosing one of the following: even, even though, or even if.
1. I will never forgive him, he apologizes a million times.
2. The cake was delicious, I forgot to add the vanilla extract.
3. This winter is freezing, but last winter was colder!
4. She speaks French, Spanish, Italian, and she speaks a little Japanese.
5. I studied all night, I still failed the final exam.
Activity 3: Unscramble the Sentences Drag and drop the words into the blue box below to form a perfect sentence. Use standard capitalization implicitly evaluated.
1.
didn't
say
she
hello
even
2.
faster
is
new
even
car
his
3.
rain
we
even
if
play
will
it
4.
even
the
expensive
more
are
tickets
5.
tired
working
he
though
even
is
very
is
he

Postar um comentário

0 Comentários