Vocabulary
Cherish: To love, value, and care about someone or something deeply.
- Example: I really cherish the relationship I have with my grandparents, especially now that I don't see them as often.
Confide in someone: To tell someone about personal feelings, problems, or secrets because you trust them.
- Example: She's one of the few people I feel comfortable confiding in when something is bothering me.
Stand by someone:
To continue supporting someone, especially when they are going through a difficult situation.- Example: My best friend stood by me when I was going through one of the hardest periods of my life.
Have someone's back: To be ready to support or defend someone when they need you.
- Example: We've had our disagreements, but I know my brother will always have my back.
Feel valued: To feel that other people recognize your importance and appreciate what you do or who you are.
- Example: A healthy friendship should make both people feel respected and valued.
Useful Expressions
- I wouldn't be the person I am today without...
- You've shaped the way I see myself/the world.
- I know I can turn to you when...
- You've stuck by me through thick and thin.
- I don't take your presence in my life for granted.
- What I value most about our relationship is...
- You've had a lasting impact on me.
- I hope you know how much your support means to me.
Key Questions
- Who is someone you feel comfortable confiding in? What makes you trust this person?
- Sample Answer: I usually confide in my sister because I know she won't immediately judge me or tell me what I should do. She actually listens before giving her opinion. What I value most about our relationship is that I can be completely honest with her, even when I'm not particularly proud of something I've done.
- Has anyone ever stood by you when other people didn't?
- Sample Answer: Yes. A close friend stood by me when I made a decision that some people in my life disagreed with. She didn't necessarily think I was making the perfect choice, but she respected the fact that it was mine to make. That experience made me realize how much I cherish our friendship.
- What makes you feel genuinely valued by another person?
- Sample Answer: I feel valued when someone pays attention to the small things. For example, when someone remembers something I mentioned weeks ago or checks in on me after a difficult day, it shows that they genuinely care. For me, feeling valued has much more to do with consistency than with big gestures.
- Who has had a lasting impact on the person you are today?
- Sample Answer: My father has had a lasting impact on me, particularly when it comes to how I deal with problems. Growing up, I watched him remain calm in difficult situations instead of immediately reacting emotionally. He's definitely shaped the way I approach challenges as an adult.
- Do you think someone can matter deeply to you even if you don't speak to them very often?
- Sample Answer: Absolutely. I don't think closeness necessarily depends on how frequently you talk. There are people I don't see for months, but whenever we meet, the connection is still there. If you've been through important experiences together and they've stuck by you through thick and thin, distance doesn't necessarily weaken that bond.
Activity
Think of someone who has had a meaningful and lasting influence on your life.
Speak for 2-3 minutes about:
- the role this person plays or played in your life;
- what makes your connection meaningful;
- a moment when they stood by you or had your back;
- something you have learned from them;
- how they have shaped the person you are today;
- something you wish you told them more often.
0 Comentários
Comente, responda, interaja em inglês! Lembre-se: usar o inglês ativamente transforma o aprendizado <3