Study the vocabulary list and complete the activities below.
1. Assist
In English, assist means to help or to give support to someone.
Structure: assist + someone + with + something / assist + someone + in + -ing
•
The nurse will assist the doctor during the operation.
•
I am here to assist you with your project if you need any help.
•
She assisted the customer in finding the right size.
2. Assistir
In English, the verb assistir (in the sense of watching an event, TV show, or movie) translates to watch. If you mean attending an event in person, use attend.
•
We stayed home last night to watch a movie on TV. (Assistir à TV/filme)
•
Millions of people watch the World Cup every four years. (Assistir a um jogo)
•
I attended a very interesting lecture yesterday. (Assistir/comparecer a uma palestra)
ACTIVITIES
Exercise 1: Definition Matching
Drag and drop the sentences below into the correct category (A or B) depending on the verb meaning.
1. She decided to watch the new documentary on history.
2. Can I assist you with those heavy bags?
3. More than fifty thousand people attended the concert last night.
4. The virtual assistant helps users answer daily emails.
5. We sat together to watch the fireworks display.
A: To give help or support
B: To look at or observe / be present
Exercise 2: Gap Fill
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of assist, watch, or attend. Type your answer in the boxes.
1. My teacher offered to me with my homework after class.
2. Do you want to a movie at the cinema tonight?
3. All employees are required to the mandatory training session on Monday.
4. A paramedic arrived quickly to the injured driver.
5. I usually the morning news while having breakfast.
Exercise 3: Reading Comprehension
Read the short dialogue below and answer the three questions.
Lucas: Hi Sarah! Did you watch the basketball game last night?
Sarah: No, I couldn't. I had to stay late at the community center to assist the team with setting up for today's event.
Lucas: That sounds like hard work! Are you going to attend the opening ceremony today then?
Sarah: Yes, I'll be there, but I hope I can just sit back and watch it this time!
1. Did Sarah watch the basketball game last night?
2. What was Sarah's role at the community center?
3. What does Sarah plan to do during the opening ceremony today?
0 Comentários
Comente, responda, interaja em inglês! Lembre-se: usar o inglês ativamente transforma o aprendizado <3