Speaking - Returning something you bought

Vocabulary

  • Receipt: A piece of paper that proves you bought something.

    • Example: Keep your receipt in case you need to return the shoes.
  • Refund: Money given back to you when you return an item.

    • Example: I would like to get a refund for this broken phone.
  • Exchange: To give something back and get a different item instead.

    • Example: The shirt is too small, so I want to exchange it for a larger size.
  • Faulty: Not working correctly or damaged.

    • Example: This toaster is faulty because it doesn't turn on.
  • Tag: A small piece of paper attached to a new product with its price or details.

    • Example: You cannot return the dress if you cut off the tag.


Useful Expressions

  • I'd like to return this, please.
  • Could I get a refund?
  • It doesn't fit. / It's the wrong size.
  • There seems to be a problem with...
  • Can I exchange this for a different one?


Key Questions

  • Have you ever returned a faulty item to a store? What was it?
    • Sample Answer: Yes, I have. I once bought a faulty hairdryer. It didn't turn on, so I took it back to the store and said, "I'd like to return this, please."
  • Do you usually keep the receipt and the tags on when you buy clothes? Why?
    • Sample Answer: I usually keep the receipt and leave the tags on until I try the clothes at home. If it doesn't fit, it's much easier to get a refund or an exchange.
  • Imagine you bought a jacket that is the wrong size. What would you say to the shop assistant?
    • Sample Answer: I would say, "Hi, I bought this jacket yesterday, but it's the wrong size. Could I get an exchange for a medium, please?"


Activity

Imagine you are at a clothing store to return a jacket you bought last week. It is faulty (the zipper is broken). Speak for 1-2 minutes explaining the problem to the shop assistant. Be sure to:

  • Mention when you bought it.
  • Explain the problem.
  • Tell them you have your receipt.
  • Ask for a refund or an exchange.





Postar um comentário

0 Comentários